September 1, 2017

Fethullah Gulen’s Statement on Unjust Treatment of Rohingya Muslims in Burma

Fethullah Gülen

As we observe Eid Al-Adha, I am deeply saddened by the unjust treatment faced by Muslims in Burma, who have been displaced from their homeland.

Thousands of Rohingya Muslims were forced to leave their homes and seek refuge in neighboring Bangladesh as a result of operations initiated in the region by Burmese security forces. Thousands of Muslims’ houses were destroyed and reports of rape and torture of hundreds of people were published by international human rights organizations including Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International.

I urge the United Nations and other international organizations to take action to end the suffering of Burmese Muslims. Burmese Muslims deserve the right to be accepted as citizens and to enjoy all citizenship rights, including religious freedom. I also urge all Muslims around the world to keep them in their prayers and to help those in need through relief organizations.

At this difficult time, I extend my condolences to our Burmese Muslim brothers and sisters who lost their loved ones and pray for the quick recovery of the injured. I pray that God gives them patience and perseverance and eases their suffering. I pray to God that He allows those who were displaced to rejoin with their loved ones and regain their homes.

I pray to God, the Most Compassionate, to lead the world to days of peace and tranquility where people can live with mutual understanding and respect.

Published on AfSV, 1 September 2017, Friday